Saturday, September 19, 2009

A Bunch of Brunch!

I am now an official New York server. Well at least, one in Queens. I've noticed on my never-ending job search that a lot of restaurants ask for "at least x years experience in NYC restaurant business." I hope this counts as a beginning to my NYC restaurant career (and hopefully I keep going up and up the 'food' chain). Brunch was alright, busier than I had seen it last weekend (which meant some more dollars for yours truly), but a bit challenging and a big test of my training and server abilities. I made it through and still got paid, so I guess I passed, yea? I was the king of omelettes, burgers, pasta, and paninis this morning, doing my best to keep the coffee and mimosas flowing. This restaurant actually has a COMPUTER, something wonderful that I am still getting used to, but I like it so far. And as far as I know, there were no phone calls or ominous drive-bys (via van) by our owner, so I guess we did alright. Believe me, you don't want a man from Monte Negro staring at you from his van. Terrifying. My favorite part about my new job is that we get a discount on not only food, but also liquor. That after hours cocktail seems not only necessary, but actually cheap, a conflicting notion. Today, I had the Blood Orange Martini, delicious - why are Blood Oranges so good? The rest of my evening includes cleaning my room, dinner, and attempting to not drink the entire bottle of wine I just bought ( a Chenin Blanc; the Chinese (I'm assuming) lady who runs/owns the liquor store and I are becoming fast friends). I may even try to get some reading done or prepare for my next audition (Monday: 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee). Tomorrow bodes another trip to the laundromat. Terrifying. By the way, I am looking for a new book to read (on the train). Does anyone have any suggestions? Good weekend to all, and to all a good night!

1 comment:

  1. You were supposed to read my Naked book by David Sedaris!!!
    I'm pretty sure you would like his writing. So you should go get one of his books and read it. :)

    ReplyDelete