Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I <3 NOLA / Au revoir Louisiana!

I had the distinct pleasure today to travel to New Orleans for the first time. It is a city I have long been interested in and have wanted to visit - and today I did! I was in awe of the unique topography of the area (it's an interesting drive down from Baton Rouge) and the special culture that lives and breaths in one of America's oldest cities. We visited Congo Square, a historic landmark meant to represent the area first used by Native Americans, then enslaved Africans, as a place of worship, music, and most importantly, dance. Despite efforts to eliminate both of these cultures, this area helped native people retain their cultural identity. I find the preservation of cultural history and folk practices such an interesting and important task. It was really special to observe the place where so many cultures have blended together (and somewhere I have studied in many classes).

And let me tell you . . . a Tom Collins at 11 am is not a bad way to start the day. In fact, I think we did things a little backwards, hitting cocktails and sightseeing first, then Cafe du Monde for beignets (spelling?) and iced cafe au lait. And then there was the Hurricane . . . let's just say I slept very well on the way back to Baton Rouge. I had a wonderful time in Louisiana and am very thankful for my wonderful hosts! Now, I am finally back home in Indiana after long, long drive (and lots of bathroom breaks).

Ya'll Com Back Now, Ya Here?

No comments:

Post a Comment